Frequent Questions

Why Québec?
Quebec is the largest province in Canada and after Ontario, the second most populated. Quebec is the only province in Canada who’s official language is French. Its capital is Quebec City.

Quebec is where you can find some of the most prestigious educational institutions in the world. In particular, the city of Montreal has many, such as : McGill University, Université de Montréal, Université Concordia, Université de Québec à Montréal (UQAM) and HEC Montréal. You can also find important colleges and language institutes/academies in Montreal that have excellent reputations.

These institutions offer fascinating study programs ranging from information technology, business, tourism, to fashion design. They attract thousands of students each year.

Similarly, for international students and people interested in residing in Quebec, the immigration legislation has various programs that allow for permanent residency . Individuals who want to develop their professions, can discover many opportunities to do an internship, study, or find a good job.

Finally, Montreal is a friendly and respectful city with an interesting cultural diversity. Here you will find that everything is possible, and where you can live and benefit from the most memorable of student experiences.

When should I start my process to study in Québec?
If you want to come and study, programs or careers in colleges and/or universities, we recommend that you plan your project with ample time. We suggest you start your process at least 6 months before the classes begin. Most institutions have deadlines to receive the applications for registration. Additionally, processing of your study permit may take several months.

If you only want to study languages, the process is a little simpler. Normally the language programs begin each quarter of the year, and sometimes are offered monthly. Depending on the duration of the program/course you choose, you should evaluate if a tourist visa is enough or if you need a study permit.

What do I need to study in Quebec?
To study in Quebec, you need the following:

  1. Sufficient financial resources to cover the cost of your studies and your living expenses, including those of your accompanying family members (if applicable).
  2. Admission and enrollment in an educational institution.
  3. The immigration visa (Study permit). In case you need a study permit, keep in mind that to come to Quebec, you will need to obtain a Quebec Certificate of Acceptance (CAQ) first.
  4. Medical insurance and a place to live.

How long can I study in Quebec?
You can study in Quebec as long as you want. Your duration of stay will depend on the course or the program that you choose to study and your budget.

What careers can I study in Quebec?
The course offerings are wide and diverse. You can study university or college programs such as: business administration, information technology, fashion design, hotel management and tourism, commercial and residential design, arts and letters, careers in the area of health, among many others.
Contact us for more information about the programs you can study.

What is the difference between a college degree and university degree?
Below we explain the different grades.

  • College degree:
    The programs called “pre-university” and those that lead to college degrees are post-secondary level. The pre-university or college programs are designed for students who have just finished high school and wish to embark on undergraduate or first cycle university studies.

    The other college programs are vocational programs. They prepare students to enter into the labor market in the area of their interest. The duration of the vocational program depends on the type of diploma. There are programs for professional development that can last 3 months or 3 years. For more information, see our guide for the selection of studies.

  • University degree:
    The university degree is a more advanced diploma than the college degree and is divided into three (3) cycles. The first cycle is the bachelor’s degree, the second cycle is the master’s degree and the third cycle are the doctoral studies.

    To study for the first cycle or bachelors, it is required to have 12 or 13 years of previous education. First cycle, university studies lead primarily to undergraduate (university) degrees. Normally the duration for these programs is 4 years if you study full time. Likewise, at the university level, there are 1-year programs which lead to a “certificate”. To study the 2nd university cycle or master’s degree, you must have previously obtained a bachelor’s degree. Master’s courses usually last two (2) years, if you study full-time. There are also specialized second cycle university programs, which last one year and lead to a Diploma of Specialized Higher Studies (DESS, .. its acronym in French). Finally, the doctoral study programs (3rd cycle) are intended for students holding a master’s degree. The duration of doctoral programs may vary depending on the discipline, but they usually last 3 years if full-time.

What are the professions in demand in Québec?
According to the list of “professions in demand” published by the labor authorities of Quebec, and organized with the immigration services of the province, the professions that are in highest demand in the province are: director (a) of advertising, marketing and public relations, auditors and accountants, human resources agents, civil engineers, general mechanics and aerospace, engineers, computer analysts and programmers, doctors, nurses and social workers, specialized educators, graphic designers, chefs, butchers, industrial mechanics and heavy machinery, etc. Check the complete list here.

Can I study any career?
As long as you meet the admission requirements for the course or program that you wish to apply, you can study for the career that you want. Everything will depend on your level of studies, the topics you have studied in previous studies, and your level of English or French.

Can I change my career path once I start my studies?
Yes, you can but it depends on whether you are changing the school, program or educational level, it may be necessary to comply with certain formalities before the immigration authorities. Sometimes it is enough to report the change to the authorities, but in some cases, you need to obtain a new study permit.

Do I need to pay someone to help me with the application?
It is not necessary to pay anyone to help you with the registration at the educational institution or for immigration procedures.

You can get all the information you need online or by phone. However, hiring the services of an Educational Agency is always a great help, since they are professionals who know the educational offer, different study programs and can guide you appropriately throughout the process. On the other hand, the support of a qualified advisor will help you make a wise and good decision, regarding the selection of your studies and your academic record.

About the immigration procedures, it is always advisable to consult with experts in the field, either lawyers or accredited immigration consultants, since immigration laws in Canada are complex and each situation is unique.

At Studia Canada, we offer you all the support you need to make your study project successful. Through our partnership with recognized immigration law firms, we can offer you comprehensive solution that include advice on immigration procedures.

When can I start my studies?
To start your studies, will depend on the program you choose and the date set by the institution “to start” the classes. Most universities and colleges programs start at the beginning of the fall quarter (August-September) and winter (January). Language programs are more flexible, many institutions accept and receive new students every month. If you plan ahead, you can choose when do you want to start to Study in Canada.

¿Te gustaría estudiar en Montreal?

Te orientamos y asesoramos para que tu proyecto de estudios sea exitoso.

Comienza tu evaluación preliminar GRATUITA